What is it ?
Palimpsest is a choreographic project in the form of an application for your smartphone.
Palimpsest, a guided tour composed of a collection of localised audio capsules.
Palimpsest, a choreographic description of the history of different sites.
Palimpsest, rediscover a living and poetic past.
How it works
- You need your smartphone (iOS or Android) and a set of headphones or earbuds.
- Go to palimpsest-app.ch and download the application.
- The application will ask you to authorize it to access your location. Answer “yes” in order for the application to run properly.
- Choose your itinerary. Once the audiofiles have been downloaded you will no longer need an Internet connection.
The exploration begins. Go to the different points of interest indicated on the map. The sound files will only be available at the indicated spots!
- Starts the program
- To discover the history of the selected point of interest
- Point of interest. Go there to discover the story is has to share.
- That’s you!
Download the app
Palimpsest explores the poetic potential of the language of audio-description. Available via a smartphone application, a collection of geo-tagged sound compositions invite the listener on a guided tour of the city. The audience members become actors in the movement, projected in spite of themselves onto the stage of an ephemeral theatre. Although the dancers will be physically absent their subtle evocation within the hyper-realistic narration will lead them to gradually materialize in the spectators’ imaginations - like phantoms haunting the surrounding landscapes. Physical proximity and intimacy are fundamental aspects of the piece’s concept and composition, which means that the audience will perceive the presence of the physically absent performers as something very much alive.
Conception: Nicole Seiler
Text, French voice: Séverine Skierski
Composition and sound design: Stéphane Vecchione
App development: App3null GmbH
Graphic design : Bivgrafik GmbH
History collaborator :Anne-Gaëlle Neipp
History consultants Lausanne: Ariane Devanthéry, Jean-Pierre Pastori, Olivier Robert
History consultants Nyon: Véronique Rey-Vodoz, Catherine Schmutz
Administration: Laurence Rochat
Touring: Michaël Monney
Production: Cie Nicole Seiler
Coproductions: Arsenic, centre d’art scénique contemporain, Lausanne (CH), far° festival des arts vivants, Nyon (CH)
Supports: Ville de Lausanne, Etat de Vaud, Pro Helvetia — Fondation suisse pour la culture, Loterie Romande, Fondation Ernst Göhner